Monday, July 22, 2013

Adventures in Bread Making

This week I decided to try homemaking bread for the first time! I have always been interested in baking my own bread from both a frugality standpoint and a sustainability standpoint .  While browsing the internet this weekend I checked out a TON of bread recipes for the crock-pot and it seemed like something fun to try, you can check out a few of the recipes here and here.  I finally decided to test out this recipe, courtesy of the Chicken in the Road blog.

All mixed up and headed into the pot! 
The process was super simple! I just made the dough, plopped it into the crock-pot, and set the pot to low.  I turned it over at the one-hour mark and then continued baking for another hour. After two hours I checked it and it still seemed fairly doughy (recipe deviation) so I repeated the process for another hour. Also, I pulled it out at the end and stuck it under the broiler for 5-6 minutes in order to achieve my desired color. Check out the finished product!

Lookin' tasty! 

"Almost" an awesome loaf of homemade bread. 

So, it did turn out as bread, which I was concerned about (hah!).  I've heard it said that baking bread is a lot of trial and error and I would have to agree.  I wouldn't say this bread was UNsuccessful but it also wasn't perfect.  The middle was still fairly soft and it turned out pretty dense as well.  While it is edible, I know that I can do better.  So, I will be at it again trying to perfect my bread in the crock pot.  I plan to repost the perfect loaf when I finally bake it :)

Questions:
Do you homemake bread? 
Would ever consider trying it in the crock-pot?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment :)