Saturday, February 16, 2013

Kale & Tomato Strata

This week I needed something delicious, healthy, and simple to eat after work (and to take in my lunch as leftovers!).  This dish was purrrfect.  I was full, happy, and healthy.  It makes your entire house smell amazing.  I ended up sharing it with our neighbors because I couldn't eat the entire pan.  It was super filling and kept me going for hours.  Definitely suggest trying it out-especially if you are an egg lover.

Ingredients
1/3 loaf of bread (I used honey wheat, but sourdough is ideal) 
1/2 tomato (large)
2-3 large kale leaves 
2 eggs
2cups of greek yogurt (plain) 
1/2cup of water 
Onions (optional-to taste) 
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Salt
Pepper 
Basil and/or rosemary 
Parmesan Cheese 
Nutritional Yeast 

Directions:  In a baking pan place bread, cubed.  Sprinkle with olive oil and broil (low) for five minutes.  Remove pan from the oven and change the temperature to 350F.  Spread tomatoes (cubed), kale (shredded), and onion slices evenly throughout the baking pan.  In a mixing bowl combine all other ingredients.  Mix well.  Pour mixture evenly throughout pan (soaking bread and veggies).  Top with nutritional yeast and cheese. Place in oven for 30minutes.  Serve hot! 

4 comments:

  1. notice nutritional yeast in alot of recipes.is this something vegans use or different from plain yeast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutritional Yeast is the best! It is sort of like regular yeast but it is inactive and has slightly different properties. It is super high in B-vitamins and other great things for your health. The taste is very nutty and a bit cheesy, so many vegans use it as a cheese substitute.

      Delete
  2. thank you for your patience with all of my questions.lol Can Cody offer an opinion on moose meat? I read a few blogs following Moms in the bush and it seems moose burgers and moose pot roast are a big hit with kids. Im not sure I could ever be that experimental. I may have to become vegan as well. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cody has tried moose meat a few times. He enjoyed it! I think it was just like any other big game meat? Not that I know what that means, ha ha. He had it in a burger and liked it prepared that way. He is doing a big hunting trip in November though so he may have more insight then! Maybe I will let him guest post on some different Alaska-type meats sometime :)

      Delete

Leave me a comment :)