Sunday, October 28, 2012

Halloween Weekend/Mendenhall Glacier

This weekend I was feeling a little glum about our lack of Halloween plans.  Usually, Halloween is my favorite holiday.  I LOVE planning elaborate costumes, decorating, baking spooky treats, etc.  This year we couldn't decorate because we were moving and I ran out of time to get a costume.  So, I was looking for a way to fill my Halloween void this weekend and I found it via traveling to Mendenhall Glacier. 
Panoramic shot of Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls. 

Cody and I loaded in the car yesterday and headed out to the glacier! I had never seen a glacier before, except on google pictures, so I was pretty stoked.  When we got there we decided to go off the beaten path a bit and hike on the beach pathway instead of the main trail.  We hiked back to the glacier and a waterfall known as Nugget Falls.  It was soooo gorgeous! We couldn't believe our luck at getting to hike out there on such a sunny and beautiful day.  The weather was perfect! A little chilly, but that is to be expected :) 
Cody on Steep Creek Trail.  There aren't many bear signs in the Midwest!

Me standing in front of Mendenhall Glacier-on the beach trail.

To top off our day of fun we made some Mexican food and tucked in to a scary move.  We watched Insidious, which was pretty scary.  To make matters freakier, we got a call at 9:30 that there had been an earthquake and we were under s tsunami advisory (huh??).  As midwesterners, we are not used to earthquakes, tsunamis, or anything of the sort.  Thankfully, we didn't see any effects of it.  But, my sister saw a bit of it living down in Hawaii.  Anyways, we are all safe and sound for now! 

So, maybe not my typical Halloween weekend but it was still an eventful one.  We are going back to the glacier today and taking the dog.  Thinking about making a little bit longer of a hike today.  Then, this evening we are going to look at a car.  We are hoping to buy a second car with 4WD so that Cody and I aren't stuck sharing mine all winter.  

Enjoy this beautiful Sunday :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment :)