Sunday, March 26, 2017

Pilot Point Needs a Teacher!

This past year has been a wild adventure, and Pilot Point has been the central setting to that adventure. Our time here has been largely shaped by the people, and more specifically the other teacher and her husband. Unfortunately though, Melissa and Ben will not be staying in Pilot Point next year. This means that the secondary position at our school is open. I, of course, am anxious to see who will fill the role. Pilot Point is a wonderful little community, and I want the very best for our kids. It's hard to recruit good teachers for the bush, and it's harder still to recruit for such a small site. However, even though we are small, there are a lot of good things about teaching in Pilot Point.


Lake and Peninsula School District is one of the best rural districts in the state. LPSD is the third district I've taught for in my career, and it's the best by a mile. The benefits package is great. The administration is supportive, consistent, and easy to work with. There is very little turnover, which is a HUGE deal for a bush district. Plus, we use a standards-based system of grading, which in my opinion trumps traditional grading in every way. 


The class sizes are small. If everything goes according to plan, Pilot Point should have fourteen students (K-12) next year. The secondary position would most likely involve teaching 7-8 students. Imagine how many cool activities you could do with a class that small! Not to mention, the relationships you'd form with your students would be non-comparable to those you'd form in a big school. 


With only two teachers, we are really free to design the school to be what we want it to be. Honestly, Pilot Point's size gives us a lot of freedom that even many of the other sites in our district don't have. Our principal is on site about 3-5 days per month, but the rest of the time we run the show (and our principal is great too, which helps). Curriculum, class set-ups, schedule, and everything else is completely up to us. This year we've had a blast getting to make the school into exactly what we want. At any other school you definitely wouldn't have this level of freedom. 


The kids are super amazing. Our kids are awesome! Seriously, our biggest behavioral issue is kids throwing the basketballs too hard in the gym. The relationships that we've been able to form throughout the year have really made a difference in the school climate, and now there really aren't any big problems. That being said, they're kids and they will push your buttons, but they are SO GOOD. 


The community is nice, safe, and supportive. I never feel unsafe walking around in Pilot Point. In fact, half the time I'm out walking people stop me to say hello or to ask me if I need a ride. Cody and I get invited to do stuff fairly frequently, whether it's dinner at someone's house or ice fishing on the weekend. It's quiet and very non-rowdy. We also have a VPSO, which definitely adds to the feeling of safety in the community. 


You'd get to work with ME! That's right - you get to work with me, and Cody, and I'll even let you play with our dogs. That right there - total selling point (ok, maybe not...still throwing it out there though!). 


Pilot Point is an awesome little village, and we need a teacher who is going to be the right fit for our school. A single person, a couple, or even a small family (our students would LOVE more kids to play with) would be great! If you or anyone you know would be interested in teaching in our little community, please feel free to contact me! 

Your turn...What are some of the "pros" to working at your job?
Currently listening to...Empire - Trampled by Turtles 

13 comments:

  1. I'm sure the kids are wonderful! I wish I could send my girls there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a blessing to have a job you can love! The best pro to working at my job, is that it's from wherever I am. Working right now - in my pjs :D Flexibility is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a cool experience you must be having! It looks incredible there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is quite a beautiful place to live and teach.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I can't believe there's 14 students! I would love an atmosphere like that for my kids. Our classrooms average 28 at our school. Since I work from home, the "pros" are I can set my own schedule and spend plenty of time up at my girls' school. I love to be involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small class sizes are definitely positive. Our students get 1:1 attention from teachers every day. I love it!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that an amazing experience. Having only 14 students must be great for one on one attention. I work from home a few hours a day and I love having the flexibility. I do miss the camaraderie of going into work though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ability to work 1:1 with students is really one of my favorite parts of this job. My kiddos and I have a wonderful relationship.

      Delete
  6. I am assuming you found a new teacher by now. How did the new teacher like the area and are they still there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! I'm no longer at the school, sadly. I moved to town when I gave birth (to a NICU kiddo who needed hospital access), but there are two wonderful teachers out there now who've both been there for the last two years since we departed. I still get to go out and visit though with my new job. :)

      Delete
  7. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    2X. .

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment :)