Thursday, November 12, 2015

Feeling Like Fall

I really love the feeling that goes along with fall on the island.  The colors are vibrant and beautiful, making the world seem bright for a time...and then everything quiets.  The tourists who scuttle to the island for our very short summer season have all cleared out for the year, their houses empty and buttoned down tight to survive the winter.  Those of us who brave the island year round begin to settle into our regular routines.


As the colors change, so do many small things on the island.  The one grocery store has cut back to winter hours, which means on Sunday it is only open for two hours. The grocery store has also closed-up some of the shelves.  During the winter, a small fraction of the store disappears under plastic wrap and we won't see it again until May. Winter hours also cause new inconveniences in banking because the bank is only open two days a week for a small handful of hours (all while I am working). There are also adjustments to be made by the boat company, and all of the other small businesses around the island. It takes a lot of work to transition into winter in this little remote corner of Michigan.



Fall also means lots of work for islanders.  The summer-only crowd hires like crazy to have locals close their houses for the season, or to fix last minute things that can't wait the winter.  Roadwork is at an all time high because any little, leftover projects have to be finished quickly. The school is buzzing with end of the quarter insanity and the beginning of basketball season.  And, for many of us, the firewood can no longer be put off and we must cut and stack in all of our free time.


Like all good things it must come to an end though.  The trees shed their last leaves and ice has been coating everything the last few mornings.  Snow is in the forecast, which is unavoidable this late in the year.  I am always (secretly) a bit excited for the first big snow though.  I don't think it'll be too far off now.

Your turn...What has fall been like for you this year?
Currently listening to...Summertime Sadness - Lana Del Rey

26 comments:

  1. Fall has been up and down this year, since a few weeks ago it was like 75 out and yesterday was like 50 and rainy/windy.

    PS your MI island kind of reminds me of Put-in-Bay, OH :) have you been? Also an island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been, but I've heard wonderful things about it! It's on my list :)

      Delete
  2. nice pictures - I always enjoy a fall hike through the woods. there are days when I would just like to move someplace out of the way like this that maybe doesn't have all the luxuries but also lacks many of society's headaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly nice! We moved here from Alaska last summer, so remote living is kind of our thing. Haha. I don't know that I could survive in a big area anymore!

      Delete
  3. wow, gorgeous pics! Fall has been pretty comfy in the Detroit area. If it stays like this until the new year, I'll be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fall here in Michigan. It's such a beautiful time of year. Loving the photos you shared in this post. This first shot is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Michigan is an easy place to get great pics :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures, I do love out state in the fall, but just it stayed warm, don't care for the cold weather we get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a cold weather person, I don't think I could survive in a warm climate. Haha.

      Delete
  6. We've had a beautiful fall in Michigan. The colors and weather have been great! Love your pictures. Hope you get through all your chores and stay warm this winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine living that kind of life where everything is so laid back. I'm sure I could get use to it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty nice :) We moved here from Alaska, so living in small, laid-back places seems normal. I can't imagine living anywhere urban!

      Delete
  8. Whew! We've lost our leaves, but hopefully we've got a few more weeks before snow. Thanks for sharing your slice of life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got snow today (our third time this fall), but none of it stuck around...yet!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, I don't know if I could handle only one grocery store with limited supplies--major props to you! I bet you do a lot of online banking! We went to Mackinaw City and some of the UP last summer and it was amazing. It's always fun to see my 3 kids' reaction to the different surroundings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can get tricky! We do a couple of HUGE shopping trips a year to buy staple supplies and use Amazon frequently.

      Delete
  10. These colors are just stunning! I love fall in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you live on Mackinaw Island? Love the hours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always dreamed about moving away from the hustle and bustle of metro Detroit. I'd love to live a nice, quiet, simple life enjoying the beauty of northern Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I've always had dreams of living in a big city like Detroit, but I don't think I could leave my simple life anymore. It's a big adjustment between the two!

      Delete
  13. What breathtaking and warm Fall photos. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on fall, Hannah Jean! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment :)