Saturday, November 28, 2015

An Island Thanksgiving

Yesterday marked the first time that Cody and I have ever hosted a holiday at our home.  We've spent so much time traveling and moving around over the last few years that we've never hosted anything, and we haven't spent very many holidays even together. Typically, Cody heads down to southern Illinois to visit his family and I head to northern Illinois and/or southern Michigan to see mine.


This year, my mom and her boyfriend, Mark, volunteered to come visit us for a rainy, island Thanksgiving. It was soooo nice to not have to travel and worry about packing, booking flights, or renting cars.  Instead, we worried about planning a meal.



We opted to forgo the turkey this year because they were nearly $40 on the island, and 1/4 of the people attending our meal were vegetarian. The carnivores made a batch of homemade chicken and dumplings. Then, for everyone we made green bean and mushroom casserole, rolls, potatoes, and giant Greek salads.  We wrapped up our wonderful meal with two pumpkin pies for dessert.


It was a lovely Thanksgiving weekend. Our holiday consisted only of relaxation, doggy fun,  and baking, which was perfect for the rainy holiday. And, as much as I love to be a bit of a traveling nomad, it was extremely nice to be at my own house, enjoying a holiday free of airports, hotels, and vending machine food. 

Your turn...How was your holiday? 
Currently listening to...Flapper Girl-The Lumineers

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice holiday. Mine was good as well, most of my extended family is on the East Coast so it's mostly my parents and I that celebrate together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good holiday weekend! I always love doing activities just me and my parents.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a perfect holiday! My sister always hosts Thanksgiving (we divide up the holidays) and as usual she had a beautiful table with lots of delicious food. We all ate too much, laughed a lot and had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful! I've always done holidays at other peoples houses in the past. I think I prefer someone else being in charge of clean-up. Haha.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a nice holiday. Ours was nice as well. My parents hosted which was really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! We love hosting, it's a great to not travel. This was our first year doing a turkey, normally we just do a chicken from my cousins farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like the idea of using a local chicken instead of turkey. We went turkey-free too, mostly because I am a vegetarian and it seemed silly to cook one.

      Delete
  5. How fun! Our Thanksgiving was filled with tons of extended family and way too much food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Flapper Girl by the Lumineers! Mine was good. We stayed at my parents house. We are in between homes. I really like being at home and entertaining during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hosting Thanksgiving dinner is a big commitment. It's always nice to get the family together, but I enjoy playing the role of "guest," mostly because I can't cook. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I'm still learning the cooking thing too...especially anything involving meat. I'm a 25+ year vegetarian with a carnivorous husband.

      Delete
  8. Turkey is overrated anyway! That looked yummy and I'm glad you had a happy first holiday hosted at home. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment :)