Monday, June 3, 2013

Meatless Monday #1

Everyday is meatless in my world.  However, I know many of you are interested in the Meatless Monday craze.  I hope that both my fellow vegetarians/vegans and my meat-loving friends and family can try out this weekly holiday.  It can have such an awesome impact, not only environmentally, but on the lives of animals as well.  Check out the awesome links that tell you more about Meatless Monday here and here.

This weeks recipe is aimed at my non-vegan friends, family, and readers.  Typically, I go vegan on Meatless Monday (support of the true veggie community).  But, I figured I would start all of you out easy with something that still appealed to that meat-y loving side of you ;)  This weeks recipe comes to me from the Hungry Hungry Hippie blog.  I saw the recipe posted this weekend, attempted it (with modified ingredients), and fell deeply in love.  So, I thought some of you might enjoy it as well (and check out the blog because it is one of my favorites).  

Egg & Kale Salad

1 bunch of kale leaves (salad amount)
2 large eggs
1tbs of olive oil
Optional: garlic, onions, other veggies

Directions: Add olive oil to a medium-sized skillet.  Turn burner on med-high.  Put onions, garlic, or any other desired veggies into the warmed skillet and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.  Then, place the chopped kale leaves into the skillet.  Crack two eggs on top of the kale (do not break the yolks).  Place a lid on the skillet and allow it to cook (no stirring) until the eggs have turned white (over-easy).  Place the contents of the entire skillet on your plate.  Voila!

Note: I served mine with a side of rice for added yummy-ness.  I ended up eating it for dinner but I really think it could be eaten at any time of the day!  Also, this ended up being ALOT of food for me.  I probably could have eaten half of this and been perfectly content.  If you have a smaller appetite/portion intake, I suggest sharing half of it with a friend :)

Questions:
Do you observe Meatless Monday? 
If so, what started you on the craze?
If not, would you consider trying it out?  Why or why not? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment :)