Monday, May 9, 2016

Cherishing These Days

These days are awfully busy on our little slice of island.  We are officially 6 weeks from our Beaver Island moving date (June 18th) and 10 weeks from our Alaska moving date (July 18th), which means that our days are being spent making lists, purging our clothes, selling furniture, booking plane tickets, and a million other little tasks.  My to-do list seems to be a mile long and no matter how many items I try to cross off it never gets any shorter.


With all the busyness we are trying to cherish the things that we love about the island, while we still can.  There are definitely things about island living that we will miss.  One of the big things is all of the outdoorsy activities.  We hike almost every weekend, and we often find ourselves at one of the amazing beaches to watch sunsets or climb the dunes. There's no shortage of nature to enjoy.



Last weekend, we took a spin around the island in our beat-up car (also one of our favorite island activities) and got out at lots of beaches and trails to walk around and play in the woods.  The footbridge is one of my favorite stops because it leads through the woods and out onto a big, deserted beach. It also just looks incredibly cool because it leads into some pretty thick forest and passes over a gorgeous creek.


We've never seen another human out at the footbridge beach, and it's far from town or any type of recognizable civilization.  There are a few beach houses in the distance, but nobody ever seems to be home. It's about 15 miles from our front door to the footbridge, which is a 30ish minute drive on the rough, unpaved roads on the island.  We spend most of the time bumping along, emphasis on bumping, at 20mph to get there.  The dogs are always anxious to get out of the car and run around on the beaches, undisturbed by other animals or people. They can really cut loose in places like this.


There are so many little gems like this one on the island.  Places where you can relax and be totally undisturbed.  Places where nature seems mostly untouched and you're just a visitor, not an invader. It's definitely something I am going to miss.

Your turn...What are some of your favorite local gems in your town/area?
Currently listening to...Closing Time - Semisonic 

15 comments:

  1. I'd admire how adventurous you are on both the island and with the move! This weekend we went to downtown Detroit and visited some local gems like Eastern Market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Detroit is somewhere I'd really like to spend some time. Would you recommend hitting up the Eastern Market? Any other suggestions?

      Delete
  2. Moving can be the worst. There are so many details to manage. It can be a crazy time, but it's also exciting to start a new chapter.

    As far as local gems, I'm fond of the riverfront trail in Grand Rapids and the grounds of the Henry Ford Estate in my hometown of Dearborn.

    And, can I just say, "Closing Time" ... What a classic! It takes me back to my more angst-ridden days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently made a 90's playlist for working out and I'm amazed at how many hilariously angst-y songs I used to jam out to. Haha.

      Delete
  3. I love hearing about your little adventures on the Island. My husband and I love doing that kind of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a fun place to spend some time living.

      Delete
  4. Closing Time is one of my favorite songs, btw. :)
    My town is mostly residential/businesses (Troy, MI) but the other day I was driving around in Walled Lake, where my parents live, and I forgot out outdoorsy some of the areas are. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite 90's jams too! I've been on a super 90's music kick the last couple of weeks.

      Delete
  5. We have a few nice parks in our town. I do enjoy walking them, and sometimes catching the sunset. It's so important to let go and live in the moment. I really need to make it a priority to do it more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunset is definitely one of my favorite things to do here on the island. Michigan has some of the best!

      Delete
  6. Moving is so stressful! I'm glad you're getting a chance to enjoy all your favorite things before you go! I love living near the water here in Holland and walking around our downtown, those are what I'll miss most when we move

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holland is a beautiful city! My parents live in one of the small towns near Holland and I've always enjoyed spending time there. Where are you guys moving to?

      Delete
  7. Amazing little town. For sure you guys will have a great life in there. Love that island.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to miss your great photos and stories from your island home but look forward to updates on the next chapter of your life's adventure in the great northern wilderness of Alaska. I hadn't realized Beaver Island was as large as it is til I read your comments about driving around it today.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment :)