Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Chasing My Dreams to the Alaskan Bush


It has been over two years since I wrote this post detailing Cody and I's desire to pack up and move our entire lives to the Alaskan Bush. Anyone who knows me knows that this has been a dream of mine ever since I took that fateful job in King Salmon, Alaska in 2010.  That summer opened my eyes to a demographic and lifestyle that I frankly did not know existed in the United States.  In that odd environment, I thrived.  I loved the simplicity, the minimalism, and the community feeling that is brought on by cultural connections and the hardships of a unique lifestyle.


Years have passed since I wrote that post and many things have changed.  We moved away from Alaska after spending a few years living and loving in Juneau.  We headed back to Michigan, the state of my birth and the home of many family members.  We moved here with every intention of settling down and trying to assimilate back into life as lower 48 residents.  The problem being that we didn't move to a place that screams "civilization."  Instead, we moved to a remote island that felt more like the Alaskan bush than Juneau ever did, which meant that the urge to live rural never went away.  It just intensified.


With that, I've spent the last two years wistfully thinking about the dream that I gave up.  It seems that I will always have that "what if" feeling when it comes to Alaska.  Because of that feeling, I've decided to take the leap.  I've accepted a job, which is both terrifying and exhilarating. The job will be taking me all the way to the Alaska Peninsula, near the Aleutian chain.  Cody and I will both be working for the Lake and Peninsula School District.  The village we will be living and working in is a tiny fishing village, only accessible by bush plane, with less than 100 residents.


I am excited and terrified to leave my little bubble on Beaver Island.  I love my students and my job here, but it all boils down to that "what if" feeling.  Could I live forever knowing that I'd never chased my dreams? The answer was a resounding "no."  So, here we are.  Packing up our lives, yet again, and heading north for another great adventure.

Your turn...What is one of your lifelong dreams? 
Currently listening to...Juno - Tokyo Police Club



17 comments:

  1. You're doing the right thing! I have found that confidence and bravery wane with age and disuse. Parents age, children come, job benefits lure a person to stagnation. If you don't continue chasing dreams, you may find yourselves unable to. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! We are excited for our next adventure, but we'll definitely miss all you crazy islanders ;)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like your going to have an amazing adventure and you'll never have to wonder "what if" again. I have to admit I've become really obsessed with Alaska and watch several different shows on or about the area. I don't think I could handle the long winters though. My dream would probably take me somewhere with milder weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I actually used to live in Juneau, AK and the weather is MUCH more mild than Michigan. Maybe you'd enjoy the weather in that area!

      Delete
  3. Wow, looks and sounds beautiful. I hope that you have an amazing experience. My parents have been to Alaska, and I'd love to visit one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful place! We used to live there and we are very excited to be moving back.

      Delete
  4. That's so exciting! You should chase your dreams. I'm chasing mine to travel the world and write about it as I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling is something I think everyone needs to do a little bit of. Good luck following those dreams! :)

      Delete
  5. How exciting! That is a huge leap. But I think taking risk for adventure is always worth it. Our family is doing the same right now. And it is exciting and scary all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words! We are definitely taking a leap, but I'm sure it's much different to be doing it with a family in tow. Kudos!

      Delete
  6. I'll miss your pictures and stories from Beaver Island but look forward to you sharing your experience in a part of the world I've never imagined visiting. Safe and happy travels my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll still be posting BI stories until July, so hopefully I'll post a few more good ones for you.

      Delete
  7. I think you rock. You can always come back if you're not happy. I love the Alaskan Bush show. I can't wait to read about more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love Alaska shows too. Which one is your favorite?

      Delete
  8. Sounds very similar to a job an old college friend of hubby's used to have. They loved it too :) Have fun, and congrats on chasing your dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It'll be an adventure for sure. Was your friend in Alaska? If so, what region?

      Delete

Leave me a comment :)