Monday, July 20, 2015

Impromptu Hike on Livingston Trail

Last week, Cody and I decided that we wanted to head to the Shore Acres Disc Golf Course in Saugatuck, Michigan.  We both totally dig disc golf as a sport (see: excuse to play around outside while potentially drinking a frosty beverage) and this course is relatively close to my parents house.  There must have been a tournament going on or something this particular weekend though because it was PACKED.  Frankly, I don't need a bunch of hardcore frolfers not-so-patiently waiting for me to play through a hole.  I'm slow and not that great at it…meh.


As we walked back to our car, we noticed a trail sign near the entrance to the disc golf course.  Naturally, we followed it and we were not disappointed.


Livingston Trail in Saugatuck Dunes State Park ended up being the perfect short hike.  We hiked about 2 miles total, no biggie.  We did end up spending a fair amount of time at the end of the trail because it opened up onto Lake Michigan.  We were the only people on the beach, which is basically unheard of in SW Michigan at this time of the year.  I suppose the hilly hike was enough to deter most of the families.


I definitely recommend this short hike, especially if you're looking for a semi-secluded beach.  I'd venture a guess that you wouldn't have to fight for a spot on this beach, even on a hot day.  The trail was hilly and ran through some steep dunes.  The trail was a good mix of wooded and beach-y scenery.  Check this out if you are ever hanging in the area!

Your turn…Have you ever been to Saugatuck Dunes State Park?
Currently listening to…Cough Syrup - Young the Giant

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment :)