Monday, August 26, 2013

Hunting for Berries

This weekend Cody and I set aside some time to wander up into the mountains in search of wild blueberries.  We are lucky enough to have a tasty blueberry bush growing next to our front door.  But, the summer is getting late and the birds have made a feast out of it.  In order to have enough berries to use in canning we had to do some wandering.  The wandering was worth every moment.






We drove our car up into the mountains (as far as the road allowed) and set off on foot.  There were bushes everywhere.  We could have started picking berries within about 500ft of our car but we were in need of a little weekend adventure So, we traveled up into the hills and settled on a spot in a high valley between two higher peaks.  This ended up being the perfect spot. The berries were huge and incredibly sweet.  We snacked the whole time we picked :)





                  

The weather only added to our incredible day.  Fall is my favorite time of the year.  Everything about this season makes me happy.  Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin beer, fall colors, chilly weather, big sweaters, the list goes on and on.  On this particular day we were graced with some serious Fall weather.  It was in the 50's and quite breezy in the mountains.  The threat of rain loomed near for the duration of the expedition but we were lucky enough to stay dry.  The colors up this high were incredible as well.  Everything was turning brilliant shades of red, brown, and orange!



This adventure left me longing for Fall to be in full-swing.  I am sure in a couple of months I will be missing the sun and warmth but the weather this weekend made me so nostalgic for my favorite season.   We were lucky to collect multiple bags of berries and we hope to make another trip up later this week.  I am sure we will be busy making blueberry concoctions (both to eat and store) over the next week.  Just another reason why I love my favorite season :)



Questions:
What is your favorite season? Why?
Do you ever go berry picking? 
What should I make with my abundance of tasty berries? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment :)